Saturday, April 13, 2013

An Excellent Wife Who Can Find?


Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave" 
Martin Luther 




Lately this topic has really been on my mind/heart. 
I have been asking myself what does it mean to honor my husband; and how am I actively showing honor to my husband and my marriage. There are several definitions of honor, but there were two that really captured my attention. 

  •  high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: to be held in honor.
  •  a source of credit or distinction: to be an honor to one's family. 

If you have been married for any period of time you know it can be easy to focus on what your spouse isn't doing or what you think they should be doing...can I hear and Amen ladies!!
    
  Throughout our marriage I have had seasons of frustration and confusion with my husband. Honor and respect don't usually come naturally. It is something we have to be actively practicing. 

Here are some things that have really helped me. 

1. Let him finish a story- I try not to interrupt the whole time he is talking. When we do interrupt it says to him and others, that you don't think he knows what he's talking about. (This one is hard for me)

2. Do not complain about him or put him down to others. It is one thing to confide in a close friend but say no to husband bashing.

3. Don't complain about what he isn't doing but lift him up and praise him for the things he is doing!


4. Thank him for working hard to provide for you and your family. It is a gift to have a husband who is a diligent worker.     Whatever your hand finds to do do it with all your might. (Ecc. 9:10)

5. Join him while he is doing something he enjoys. Some call this "shoulder to shoulder time." This can be watching TV, washing his car, etc... Show an interest in the things he likes to do. I never imagined after doing this I would actually like football or basketball but I have grown to love it.


An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.
Proverbs  31:10-13

Here are some good resources for digging a little deeper.




Good luck ladies. I pray for long and happy marriages for each and every one of you! 

Love, 
Ashley 






No comments:

Post a Comment